How Can I Help the Bereaved?
- Be Aware: remember that grief is normal and necessary.
- Be There: learn to be with the person; without trying to solve the problem.
- Be Sensitive: allow the pain; don’t try to take it away.
- Be Human: allow expressions of feelings (guilt, anger, sorry, etc) without judgement.
- Be Ready: to listen when the story is told over and over again.
- Be Patient: remember that the process of mourning takes time.
- Avoid Clichés: “Their suffering is over”, “It’s God’s will”, “You’re young enough to have another child.” It’s better to say nothing than to use clichés.